Subject: Re: SRM booting from ncr(4) or isp(4) - what models
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/08/2005 23:31:48
This seems to me to be less a question of any firmware on the cards
as it is a question of what chips a given version of SRM is willing
to drive.

The Symbios 53c875 are pretty common on eBay, and have worked just
fine in my PC164's. They support 40MB/s, single-ended UltraWide SCSI
and slower combinations of narrow (8-bit), wide (16-bit), Fast (10 or
20MB/s), and Ultra (20 or 40MB/s).

The Qlogic ISP1020 and 1040 work, but I've never seen SRM for the
21164a based Alpha systems recognize and boot from a 1080 (64-bit PCI
LVD SCSI). The 1240 and 1280 are dual channel versions of the
corresponding 10xx boards.

I had a similar experience with netbooting Alphas with SRM; if you
wanted it to work reliably, the DEC DE500-AA (21140 "tulip" based)
10/100 PCI Ethernet NIC was the best bet. The DEC DE500-BA (21143
based) came later, and not all versions of SRM can drive them right;
and the DE500-XA (also 21140 based) doesn't speak Nway for port speed
and FDX/HDX negotiation with switches (though if you only have a
fixed speed hub, they ought to work fine - I've just never tried
that). The exact models of the DE500 can be found in the FCC-ID
silk-screened onto the PCB:

DE500X = DE500-XA (21140)
DE500A = DE500-AA (21140)
DE500B = DE500-BA (21143)

If I recall correctly, the XA doesn't have a socket for a PC ROM BIOS
chip, and the AA abd BA do. You might get lucky with other 21140
based cards (e.g. Asante' EtherFast), but that was really hit or
miss, mostly dependent on the PHY.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>