Subject: Re: 164lx and up1100 - possibly dead board?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Jong-won Choi <jc@itsec.co.kr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/04/2005 17:45:48
der Mouse wrote:

>>For 164lx, cpu fan runs after power up ... then nothing.  No beep, no
>>signal on serial line.
>>

>How long did you wait?  My own alphas often take a long time to send
>anything to their serial consoles (long compared to other
>serial-console machines, that is).

About 5 min?

>Or does "no signal" mean that the transmit line is not driven at all?
>In that case I agree something is wrong - though it could be something
>as simple as a miswired serial cable; I know that one of my alphas uses
>a different pinout for its serial cables from some of my other systems
>using superficially similar serial cables.

There is -11.57 to -12V signal on pin 2(it keeps changing). But my
windows hyperterminal didn't get anything meaningful. Maybe
hyperterminal configuration is wrong?

* * *

Ok. I'll start from scratch again. Please tell me if what I'm thinking
is right or wrong.

1. Flash ROMs are broken. So I need booting floppies to bring them back.
They will be prepared from DEC's CD - 164lx.exe(v5.8) and gtsrm.rom(for
up1100, I forgot the ftp site) using mkboot.exe from digital site to
make boot floppies. Their size is about 1.4M

2. Set jumpers of Alpha machines for fail safe boot as manual describes
(All manuals from different vendors - Samsung, Alpha Processor Inc.,
DEC, Compaq) suggest same jumper setting. This will cause booting from
floppy.

3. Set serial line from COM1 of Alpha machine to other machine(currently
only available machine is windows) with vt100, 9600, no parity, 8bit, no
control flow.
(question: should I use SROM port - e.g. mmj interface -  instead of COM1?)

4. Start an alpha machine.

5. Then I can expect spinning of floppy drive (with or without  serial
line connection, I guess).

That's about it without any try yet. Am I missing anything important here?

Cheers

Jong-won
(I found just knowing somebody's reading my messages makes me think
deeper and deeper. This mailing list helps me a lot. Thanks)