Subject: 164lx and up1100 - possibly dead board?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jong-won Choi <jc@itsec.co.kr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/02/2005 19:40:47
Hi

I recently got two 164lx and one up1100 (only one 164lx is used
condition). The person gave them to me said all of them has broken rom.
He told me he saw blue screen just after power up. Originally I thought
it is easy to bring them back ... and it turned out it's not.

Some background - I believe I have right rams(ecc unbuffered), serial
cable, srom floppies, and even mmj cable. I read most of relevant
messages on this list. I read manuals and purchased new PSU.

All of them have same problem - nothing happens after power up(e.g.
can't reach original owner's state)

For 164lx, cpu fan runs after power up ... then nothing. No beep, no
signal on serial line. For up1100 cpu fan runs as well as two LEDs(green
and red) light ... then that's it - no beep, no signals, etc.

When I check voltages of PSU, -12 v is slightly out of range of
spec(manual says, all voltages should be in +(-)5% tolerant. Can this be
a problem? This is new PSU just purchased for alpha machines - expensive
brand name one - from antec)

What should I do before throw away these 3 alpha motherboards?

(I guess this list is the only one active and serious alpha related
list. If my question is not appropriate for this list, I apologize)

- Jong-won