Subject: Re: PATA disk drive not being configured in 2.0.2
To: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/11/2005 19:33:03
On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 09:57:29AM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> Properly?  Well.... there is the "Vector allocation failed" thing.
> http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-alpha/2005/02/04/0003.html
> DEC says it is okay, but to my way of thinking the factory shouldn't
> be putting out stuff with error messages.
>
> It was working in at least 1.6.2 and 2.0.  (Other than some unreadable
> sectors which I assume are the drive's fault rather than the controller.
> Maybe that's a bad assumption?  Drive is less than a year old and shouldn't
> be having so many bad sectors.)  I did a clean shutdown to add the SATA
> controller and disk.  Upon powerup I got a bunch of new "Vector allocation
> failed" messages.  Grrr.  Removed a couple of boards I wasn't using and
> swapped boards around until I was down to the one factory warning again.

> So now kernels without cmdide don't configure the PATA disk.
> Kernels with cmdide trap if a PATA drive is attached.
> (I wasted a day or 2 swapping things around playing "let's see if
> *this* disk will boot", while figuring this out.  Pulling the
> SATA controller out didn't help, that was of course one of the first
> things I tried.)

Could you try a plain 2.0 kernel again ? Did your 2.0 work with cmdide or
pciide ? At last we'll see if it's the openfirmware misconfiguring the
IDE controller, or if something changed in the NetBSD kernel that cause this.
There isn't much changes between 2.0 and 2.0.2 ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>