Subject: Heavy disk work (?) has brought down my alpha twice
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/16/2005 09:09:54
Hello

During the last week I have seen two lockups on my alpha,

Digital AlphaPC 164LX 599 MHz, s/n
8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
total memory = 512 MB
(2120 KB reserved for PROM, 509 MB used by NetBSD)
avail memory = 492 MB
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: ID 0 (primary), 21164A-2
cpu0: Architecture extensions: 1<BWX>

running,

%uname -s -m -r
NetBSD 3.99.3 alpha

I think it might be disk related. I was doing 'make configure' in
www/firefox when the last hang occured. Everything just stopped. X is
still there and the image is not damaged in any way (graphics errors, or
so). It is not possible to break from X into the debugger when it
happens (well, that is the general feeling anyway, after trying all the
key combos in the book). Perhaps I can hook up a serial console some
rainy day.

The machine still responds to ping after being frozen.

Pressing caps lock / num lock will not light the LEDs.

I believe I have enough cooling on both the computer and the disk. The
disk is a,

sd0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <IBM, DPSS-336950N, S96H> disk fixed
sd0: 35239 MB, 14627 cyl, 10 head, 493 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 72170880
sectors
sd0: sync (50.00ns offset 16), 16-bit (40.000MB/s) transfers, tagged
queueing

connected to a,

esiop0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
scsibus0 at esiop0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

I used to have softdeps on /usr and /home, but am now running with it
turned off to see if that makes some kind of difference (having read
about others who can lock up their NetBSD boxes with softdep..).

Best regards
	Lars Nordlund