Subject: Re: GS140 Alpha Server question
To: Pawel Lesniak <warlord@ifmpan.poznan.pl>
From: Stephen Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/11/2005 01:28:27
On Apr 10, 2005, at 11:26 PM, Pawel Lesniak wrote:

> Well, did THEY manage to boot NetBSD on their machines? I'm in terrible
> need of something what would run on GS140 without big troubles.

Pawel -

Thats a pretty tall order considering that the Alpha platform is now
considered
'tier 2' and focus has shifted to the Itanium and x86 archs.  Have you
tried
alphalinux.org?  They might have a duct tape solution.  (I'm not sure
if they
ever ran on the 4100 or 8400 though).  Another thought is you could
work on
the alpha port so it could run on the GS140 by either supporting NetBSD
developers
financially so the port can catch up or doing the work yourself.
Unfortunately
there isn't a 13 step howto on getting it running and even if you do
boot the installer,
its going to take a bit of work to make use of your very cool system
and for it to
run with stability.  Can you do with TRU64?  It might be your best bet
if you're not
up for tinkering.