Subject: Re: UDMA errors with Promise in Miata
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/30/2005 12:05:12
On Mar 30, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Michael Kukat wrote:

> Hello,
> [...]
> pdcide0:1:0: lost interrupt
>         type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
> pdcide0:1:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x21
> wd2: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 2
> wd2(pdcide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using
> DMA data
> transfers)
> wd2c: error reading fsbn 0 (wd2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying
> wd2: (aborted command, interface CRC error)
> wd2: soft error (corrected)

Hmm...  I had wondered if this was fixed by now.  I had this exact
error some two years ago with a Promise Ultra133TX2 controller.  My
solution was to drop down to an Ultra/66 controller.  I've had success
with both SIIG and Promise Ultra/66, but this Promise 133TX2 has been
gathering dust until I can verify that it works...  :(

There are various
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2003/04/03/0008.html) threads
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2004/03/13/0003.html) about
this issue, and at least one PR that I recall, but can't seem to locate
at the moment.

The suggestions at the time were a weak PSU (not likely), or timing or
speed issues with the Miata's PCI chipset (sounds more likely, as I've
not had a single error with Ultra/66 in 2 years).

> ..Michael
> http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX
> NonStop-UX
> Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep
> MacOS A/UX

--Dave