Subject: Who knows xfree86 code? (was Re: Trouble with xfree86)
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/29/2005 23:43:33
Eike Dehling wrote:
> On other notice, i think i might have found (some) light; as mentioned
> in an email linked in a message i got privately, i edited alpha's
> interrupt.c, and made machine-checks non-fatal, basically i print them
> but ignore them for the rest (removed the last line 'panic()' in the
> 'machine_check()' function). Now i can see the messages on the console,
> since the machine won't lock up anymore in a state where xfree has taken
> control of the gfx-card.
>
> [...]
>
> I'll try finding out what causes these machine checks; i added the
> "option 'NoInt10'" to XFree86Config already, but it didn't help.

I further 'enhanced' interrupt.c, to make it send a signal after a
machine check, and i did a debug build of XFree86. Now gdb revealed
where the problem was. (it's where the mga driver reads it's settings
from the cards BIOS).

 From looking at the code, i think it might be trying to read from a
bogus address, though i'm sure; i don't know xfree code.

My question, is there anyone who knows this code? I'd love to have this
stuff working, but i don't really posses the knowledge to fix a broken
xfree86 driver (except maybe with by a quick hack. :) )

Is this the right place for this problem it perhaps better to ask the
person who wrote the driver about this; since it's not really netbsd
related?

Greetings,

Eike.