Subject: Re: Trouble with xfree86
To: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@student.utwente.nl>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/22/2005 23:52:10
On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 18:11 +0100, Eike Dehling wrote:
> Unfortunately, no. After i reboot the file is empty. The file gets wiped
> out by the fsck on the next boot i suspect, since fsck says something
> about removing some unrefenrenced blocks? I tried mounting the
> file-system with the 'sync' option too, to no effect, except for
> everything being a lot slower. :(

What you can do is to have an ssh session running from another machine
and use a shell loop like this:

(zsh syntax, change x-log-file to the actual X log file)
# rm x-log-file
# while true ; do tail -f x-log-file ; done

And at the same time run startx locally on the Alpha. Immediately when
the file is created by XFree86 it will be tailed in your ssh shell. I
have done exactly this a while back and it worked for me. I was
debugging the same kind of problem you are seeing now.

I could not see which graphics card you are using? Currently I think S3
boards are a no-go on NetBSD/Alpha. I have tried two different S3 boards
without having any luck. Right now I am using an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI on
my 164LX. I have also verified that an ATI Rage 128 works like a charm.

Best regards
	Lars Nordlund