Subject: Trouble with xfree86
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/22/2005 16:17:28
Hi,

i have been having some trouble getting XFree86 going. I recently
purchased an AlphaPC164SX which i am trying to setup as a second
workstation.

I tried many things, and currently am stuck with one issue: the computer
freezes prettty much immediately after i start X, and i can't see
console messages. It stops responding to pings, so i think it has a
kernel panic (i found several messages on the internet saying this too).

How do i get to see the console messages? When i use a serial console, i
can't start X at all because it fails to find a TTY to run on. If i put
in a second video-card to use as console the machine won't boot at all.
(the second card is ok, if i put it in on it's own, the machine will
happily boot using it as console)

I'm kind of out of options, imo. The only thing i could think of is
possibly kgdb via a serial line; but does that give me console messages?
Or am i doing something wrong with the serial console, is it perhaps
possible to start X when using a serial console?

Any hints are very appreciated!

greetings,

Eike Dehling.

PS: graphics cards are a matrox/g200 and a s3/Vision968.