Subject: Re: anyone know if there's a fix for this "malloc with held simple_lock" in RAIDframe bug yet?
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/14/2005 09:37:39
"Greg A. Woods" writes:
> I was just trying to set up a RAID-1 mirror of the root drives on an
> alphaserver (with a 1.6.x MP kernel) and the instant I ran "raidctl -C"
> the following spewed forth on the console.
>
> malloc with held simple_lock 0xfffffc00006135c0 CPU 1 /building/work/woods/m-
> NetBSD-1.6/sys/dev/raidframe/rf_driver.c:356
> alpha trace requires known PC =eject=
[snip]

> I guess I'm not going to be mirroring the system disk just yet.....
>

> In any case does anyone know if there's a fix already in -current for
> this "malloc with held simple_lock" bug yet, and if so where I might
> hope to find it?

All the LOCKDEBUG issues should be fixed in 2.0 (and thus in -current).

> The only difference I see in the -current in that area is that the
> RF_LOCK_MUTEX(configureMutex) call has been changed to be
> RF_LOCK_LKMGR_MUTEX(configureMutex).  That may be the fix according to
> the comment associated with the change (rev. 1.55, and yes my kernel
> does also use LOCKDEBUG), but I'd like to get some confirmation before I
> try pulling that change into my own sources.

The change in rev 1.55 may fix this problem, but IIRC there were
quite a few more changes that had to be made before all (?) of the
locking issues were sorted out.  (You'll need at least 1.64 and 1.65
for this file, and probably a whole mess of other changes for other
files in RAIDframeland)

If you're looking for "the best RAIDframe", might I recommend you
use 2.0? :)  (The code in 2.0 is MUCH better than what shipped in
1.6.x)

Later...

Greg Oster