Subject: Re: No X- Server for my AS4100 on Port Alpha
To: None <Steffen.Pelzetter@nexans.com>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@netilium.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/01/2005 12:42:15
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:42:10 +0100
Steffen.Pelzetter@nexans.com wrote:

> Hello,
>=20
> I've downloaded iso image for the alpha- port on netbsd 2.0
> cause I want to find the best os for the future.
>=20
> So I've installed it on my AlphaServer 4100=20
> (DigitalServer 7305 correctly).
> At first the are some bugs in the installation programm.
> So the verbose and the "silent" installation are switched,
> the root system is mounted read- only after installation and
> some other minor problems.
>=20
> Now my system seemed to be installed and I tried to configure
> X.
>=20
> But there is nothing, no xf86config, XF68Config or xf86cfg.
> I have re-installed the xserver.tgz with no success.
>=20
> I think there are no X- server and tools on the CD.
>=20
> Please help, I need to have a running system at the end
> of the month. If you can't solve the problem I need to
> install linux, which is not my favorite one.
>=20
>=20
> Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen / Best Regards
> Steffen Pelzetter
> --=20
> Nexans Deutschland Industries GmbH & Co. KG
> Building Market Germany
> Abt.: IT - System- Administration & Software- Development
> Tel.: +49 (0) 36962 / 29309 - Fax: 29345
>=20
>=20

Hi,

You'd have to create your own configuration file on that machine.
(but XFree86 -configure *might* give you something to start with.)

I'm afraid there is little hope that it will actually work given
that the AS4100 has a fairly unique set of PCI ASICs that have
not been tested much (if at all) with XFree86.

What I'd do is to get XFree86 4.5.0-RC2 tarball from XFree86,
build it and try with the Option "NoInt10" "true". This
works at least on one of my alphas. I'll try the AS4100
later ...

-Tobias