Subject: Re: Should Alpha PCI code manage latency timers?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/24/2005 10:10:35
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:10:07AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> The upshot of a rather strange recent thread in netbsd-help (titled
> "got drivers?") was that, at least on some PCI alphas, neither SRM
> nor our MD PCI code set devices' latency timers at all.  A user had
> a machine with two tulips, a pciide, and a QL1040 -- only the 1040
> worked reliably, because the isp driver explicitly whacks the latency
> timer value to 0x40 if it finds it at 0x00.

I _think_ that this should go in the alpha PCI MD code.  The alpha
isn't the only case we have run across where the ROM gets us almost
as far as we need to get, but the ROMs all seem to be a little
different in where they're deficient.  Unless this is a common
problem (and I don't think it is), I think it should stay MD.

FWIW, I've been meaning to go back with the PCI spec and look at
the latency calcualtions in pciconf.c again.  I think I had the
wrong idea of how it should work at the time.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.netbsd.org/