Subject: Re: Booting from floppy
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: None <blstuart@bellsouth.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/2004 11:28:28
In message <oqacruqxjf.fsf@castrovalva.Ivy.NET>, Miles Nordin writes:
>Normal kernel configs say:
>
>config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
>
>which means the bootloader will tell the kernel from where it was
>loaded, and the kernel will try to use that as the root filesystem.

So does the loader then default to specifying the same device
it loaded from?

> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kern

Excellent.  I'm just now returning to NetBSD after several years
and am re-learning where to find things.

>To make your own floppy sets, I've done it for i386 but can't give you
>a foolproof procedure.  I just tested this and think it will work for
>you:
>
>$ cd /usr/src/distrib/alpha/floppy-GENERIC
>$ make USETOOLS=no FLOPPYMAX=3 FLOPPYKERNEL=/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GE
>NERIC.MP/netbsd

I'll give that a try.  Does that build an image that has the loader
in it as well, or should I spend some more quality time with the
installboot man page?

>However, I think you will not want to change floppies, so you should
>learn to boot over the network with a tftp and dhcp server.

Eventually I do want to netboot it.  However, at the moment, the
Ethernet card (3c905) is also unsupported by SRM.  When I was
updating the console, however, I noticed that they do have support
for the Intel card.  So I'll keep an eye open for one of those.

Thanks for the info.
Brian L. Stuart