Subject: Re: Booting from floppy
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/2004 10:48:04
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Fri_Dec_31_10:47:50_2004-1

     b> Otherwise, how can I go about building my own boot floppies
     b> (or better CD) using the MP kernel and defaulting to using
     b> sd0a as root?

Normal kernel configs say:

config          netbsd  root on ? type ?

which means the bootloader will tell the kernel from where it was
loaded, and the kernel will try to use that as the root filesystem.

Since you'll load the kernel over the network or floppy or CD, but
always want to use the disk as root, you'll want to rebuild a kernel
with:

config          netbsd  root on sd0a type ffs

just copy /usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/conf/GENERIC.MP to a new file, make
this change, and follow

 http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kern

To make your own floppy sets, I've done it for i386 but can't give you
a foolproof procedure.  I just tested this and think it will work for
you:

$ cd /usr/src/distrib/alpha/floppy-GENERIC
$ make USETOOLS=no FLOPPYMAX=3 FLOPPYKERNEL=/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC.MP/netbsd

However, I think you will not want to change floppies, so you should
learn to boot over the network with a tftp and dhcp server.

If you want to try to make the cd, maybe add FLOPPYSIZE=10000 to the
above command, and try that first.  If that doesn't work look in
/usr/src/distrib/alpha/instkernel/cd-hd-tape

--
The auditing that is conducted on slot machine software in the U.S. is
significantly more meticulous than what is done to voting software.