Subject: Re: Upgrade snag with tlp0 in Alpha PWS 433
To: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/2004 19:26:58
Hi !

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Rhialto wrote:
> It's an Alcatel Speedtouch Home ADSL modem. I have heard it is not known
> for its stable ethernet implementation; long cables seem to cause
> trouble quickly. I suspect it only works properly with one speed
> setting.

Hm. Sounds like 10MBit.

> > As said, my 2 MIATAs have fine network access (a bit slow, okay) with onboard
> > tlp, and the even have different chips inside. One is -52, the other -53.
>
> Is that the "pass 3.0" that I have in my dmesg?

tlp0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0: DECchip 21142 Ethernet, pass 1.1
tlp0: interrupting at dec 550 irq 0
tlp0: DEC , Ethernet address 00:00:f8:75:48:2b

no. The DECchip. Okay, not -52 and -53, but -42 and -43, as in 21142 and 21143.

> No, as far as I can see it is only an activity led, when there is actual
> data being sent.

It it's an DSL _MODEM_, can you really ping it? Usually, these devices are just
kind of media converters, which don't talk TCP/IP natively.

> Yes, I'm building packages too, with pkg_comp, so I can replace all
> stuff in one go.

I'm doing a build-from-scratch of my most favorite packages from 2004Q4 on a
fresh built NetBSD 2.0, everything optimized for EV56. It seems to me, that
this BWX stuff really brings out a bit more performance. The box feels a bit
crispier.

Now i just have to replace the 2 TGAs for 2 more Gloria Synergy to have 3 24bit
screens :)

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX