Subject: Re: bootxx_ffs maximum load size exceeded
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/25/2004 11:17:18
Paul Mather wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 13:35 -0600, James Chacon wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 12:12:49AM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > > The attached patch is pretty gross, but at least allows bootxx_ffs
> > > to build.  bootxx_lfs is still too big, so I've disabled the
> > > building of that for now.  I'm not sure if anyone actually uses
> > > bootxx_lfs?  I did test it once ages ago when I was playing around with
> > > boot-off-LFS-on-raidframe.  Note that I haven't tested the resultant
> > > bootxx_ffs yet - my alphas are turned off right now.
> > >
> > > Should I commit this so as to at least allow builds to work again?  If
> > > so, I'd also add a doc/HACKS entry too.  I'm also asking the binutils
> > > folks what we can do about this.
> >
> > Let's try this one instead. Less hacky overall I think and w. it all boot
> > blocks build again (basically we're back to the same outputs as binutils 2.14
> > I beleive)
>
> I guess I need to try James' patch.

I really would try James' patch.  It's a lot cleaner than my first
patch.  If you used "build.sh -u" to do an update build, you could back
out my patch, apply James', do a "<tooldir>/bin/nbmake-alpha cleandir"
in the src/sys/arch/alpha/stand directory and redo the build.sh.

> Alternatively, I suppose I could remove ./usr/mdec/bootxx_lfs
> from /usr/src/distrib/sets/lists/base/md.alpha for now?

You could just touch <destdir>/usr/mdec/bootxx_lfs if you want
quick results.

Cheers,
Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/