Subject: Re: installing on 2100A
To: Paul Baughman <phb1@psulias.psu.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/2004 18:45:24
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Paul Baughman wrote:

> So, you booted the 2100 from a (for instance) i386/NetBSD, did a mkfs, and
> copied things over?  Would that even work, or was it another alpha/NetBSD?

Yes, that is more or less what I did. You need to set up the whole Alpha
system somewhere, which you point at as the root for the 2100, when it
boots. This (obviously) needs to be exported by NFS. You cannot share
anything from NetBSD/i386 (or any other architecture). Well, you could
share /usr/share, and /usr/src if you wanted, but you get the idea.

> Where did you get the alpha kernel?

Took one of the precompiled GENERIC kernels, I believe.

> If they aren't significantly different (my understanding, which may not be
> accurate), then why is everyone's 2100A not booting?

Not sure. But I've only seen like one or two other replying, and I don't
know what they have tried either.

> At this point, I'm not set on multi-processing, or any fancy video cards or
> anyghing like that, I'd settle for a single-cpu bootable machine with basic
> functionality.

Good. Because that's what I'm doing. A serial console, nothing in there
except CPU, memory, and the integrated SCSI and Ethernet.

 	Johnny