Subject: Re: installing on 2100A
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Paul Baughman <phb1@psulias.psu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/2004 11:33:55
Thanks all,

I don't think that knowing a 2100 works helps, since the A-model is
significantly different.  I'm not any kind of a kernel hacker, so I
wouldn't even know how to go about getting it to work (if it is even possible).

I was hoping to get some kind of *bsd or linux running, but all the ones
I've looked at (openBSD, Gentoo, FreeBSD, etc.) seem to port their (alpha)
code from NetBSD.

The closest I've come to success is RedHat 7.2 from HP.  HP has a 'wrapper'
CD that does boot the machine, but when I insert the install disc, it
doesn't recognize it as a RedHat disc, so the install doesn't get beyond
that point.  I don't have any way to copy the bootable kernel from the
wrapper disc to the first install disc.

maybe I'll have to settle for VMS(free) or Tru64($100).  Don't get me
wrong, I've nothing against either OS, I just had my heart set on a bsd.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any hints to something that will work, TIA.

Paul Baughman

At 06:37 PM 12/10/2004, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:54:39 -0500
>>Paul Baughman <phb1@psulias.psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>I've searched the archives and see that one or two people have NetBSD
>>>running on 2100A's.  Can anyone tell me how you installed it?
>>Last time I tried NetBSD on my AS2100 5/250 (triple CPU) it crashed
>>during autoconf, IIRC at the time the PCI bus was attached. So you may
>>be out of luck.
>
>My 2100 4/275 works fine. But I did a network install from another machine.
>I don't think MP is working though, but I have kindof oddball CPUs which
>might explain that. No two like cpu cards.
>
>Oh, and the clock frequency gets wrong on that machine. Had to patch the
>code for that one.
>
>         Johnny
>
>Johnny Billquist                  || "I'm on a bus
>                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
>email: bqt@update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books
>pdp is alive!                     ||  tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

-----
Paul Baughman
Digital Library Technologies
814-865-1818