Subject: Re: making firefox LP64 clean
To: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/27/2004 13:47:02
[ On Saturday, November 27, 2004 at 09:19:23 (+0100), Michael Kukat wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: making firefox LP64 clean
>
> Hm. Just checked a different behaviour i recently saw... If i give it some time
> after start, setting dust on to of the window :), it works quite better. If i
> start it, and as soon as the window appears, put an URL in it, the
> autocompleten is remarkably slow, the page needs a lot of time to load, and
> usually, it crashes quite soon.

that's even more bizarre!

I was always starting it with a bunch of tabs opening automatically to
common startup pages I use frequently.  Loading 6 or 8 pages
simultaneously was a bit slow, but not terribly slow.

I have never seen mozilla, or any other web browser, behave anything
like what you desribe except when.....

OH!  Are you running NetBSD-1.6.2 or 1.6.2_STABLE (i.e. are you running
the release, or a build done since May from the netbsd-1-6 branch)?

Since 1.6.2 was released there's been a very significant improvement
made to the performance, especially on alpha, of dynamicly loading
applications.  (many of the ld.elf_so fixes from -current were pulled up)

If you're running the release you can build just ld.elf_so and replace
it in your running system to see these major improvements.

(I static-link anything and everything I can in all the system and in
all packages, so for me the new ld.elf_so only helps programs which
absolutely must be dynamic-linked, such as mozilla.)

> Besides this...
>
> mozilla-bin in free(): warning: chunk is already free.

I never saw any of those when I was running mozilla 1.6 -- at least not
on the alpha.

> And to avoid confusions: i'm talking about pkgsrc mozilla-gtk2.

Ah, yes, me too.  I didn't even bother building the non-gtk2 version.

> Hm. pkgsrc-2004Q3 works fine, it's an 1.7.3 there. Just besides some
> instability issues.

That's bizzare -- it's apparently broken in current pkgsrc, but I too am
focusing my current resources on the 2004Q3 branch.  (current pkgsrc
changes way too often for my slow old systems and my already over-taxed
attention span to keep up with!)

I'll have to try rebuilding everything involved again.

Maybe I'll even risk trying to use pkg_comp to set up a clean chroot
area and build all of mozilla with all of its dependencies all in one
private area.  I don't know what could be interfering but you never know
with something this big and complex.....  Maybe it's even my use of
"OPTIM = -O2 -mno-soft-float -mcpu=21164a"....  Maybe I should try using
"GCC_REQD = 3.3".... (maybe even in /etc/mk.conf)

> Any yes, opening the Mail thingy also crashes it here. 90MB
> core for a web browser. Okay...

Well at least something's behaving the same!  ;-)

--
						Greg A. Woods