Subject: Re: XFree86 and TGA2
To: Roland C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/24/2004 06:19:38
Hello,

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Roland C. Dowdeswell wrote:
> >:) Okay, i used hexedit to change the table in the binary :) What is the best
> >place to address hints/patches for this? Here or directly to XFree?
>
> For the ELSA or for the TGA?  The TGA code is in the kernel and
> not the XServer last I checked.  The routines to look up the modes
> are a reproduction of the basic logic that DEC used to configure
> these cards based on the DIP switches on the back...

For the TGA. The Permedia based card would be clear "PC world" issue and
directed to XFree.

Hm. For this lookup logic... don't confuse XdecNetBSD (or XalphaNetBSD) with
XFree86. I'm talking about XFree86, and this doesn't read the rotary switch for
resolution but instead gets the resolution from the first valid mode resulting
from mode scan, and comparing width and height (only these parameters) with the
table of modesfor the switch. Really. It's not very useful :)

> You might have sync-on-green turned on for the card.  Can't remember
> if I left it as the default configuration.  If so, the easiest
> thing to do would be to compile a kernel after hacking those lines
> of the driver and see if that resolves the issue.

As my TFTs don't know about sync-on-green (at least my X-terminal doesn't work
with this), and i didn't configure it in XFree86, i don't think so. But it's a
hint. Anyway i wanted to try with sync-on-green with these monitors, as DDC
mentions it. It seems i have to twiddle something with VSYNC to get
sync-on-green working.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX