Subject: how to create bootable netbsd disk from Tru64 UNIX?
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/17/2004 16:46:41
OK, so I've got a shiny "new" 4-CPU 16-GB AlphaServer ES40 Model 2 to
play with now!

(and soon it'll have an Apple Xserve RAID array attached)

However my first attempt at booting my 1.6.x CD on it failed (somewhere
between allocsys() and the first copyright message), and since the
machine is about 20 miles away I can't be burning CDs and driving up to
it for every new test.  :-)

Getting an NFS server working safely and securely in the same place it
resides is also somewhat problematic.  There is a Linux box in the same
room that could run NFS and that does have another ethernet card that
could be put on a private net with the alpha, but.....   :-(

However one of the disks in the Alpha has a working booting copy of
Tru64 UNIX on it, and I have serial console access as well as a network
connection for it.  It has Compaq C V6.5-011 installed too.  :-)

Is there any reasonably easy way for me to generate and populate a
netbsd filesystem on that second disk from Tru64?  Ideally I'd like to
be able to drop new kernels onto this second disk for easy testing.

Or would it be best to just generate a whole bootable disk image using
my NetBSD system and just "dd" that onto the second disk using Tru64?

If the latter then does anyone have a quick and easy ready-to-bake
recipe for creating an Alpha bootable filesystem image with a "normal"
kernel in it?  (i.e. I'd very much rather not have to adapt the install
"cdhdtape" image building procedures and I really do not want to have to
test with an INSTALL-like kernel with its internal ramdisk filesystem)

I'd prefer to be able to just upload new kernel images instead of whole
filesystem images (my upload bandwidth is somewhat restricted,
especially since there's currently a 3-6% packet loss somewhere along
the path), so the former is currently much better than the latter.

--
						Greg A. Woods