Subject: Re: bootable RAID-1 array problems
To: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/27/2004 12:29:58
Ray Phillips writes:
[snip]
> I tried again to make a RAID-1 bootable array using the IDE pair of
> disks I mentioned, this time in a PC.  I sat in front of the console
> when I issued the `raidctl -F component0 raid0' command and observed
> the failure occur.  It certainly happened in the vicinity of the bad
> sectors, so they must have been the cause.  So, it seems a sector by
> sector copy is done of the whole RAID partition during the
> reconstruction process, regardless of what kinds of partitions are
> within it?

Correct.

> There was something strange about the SCSI pair too but I can't
> explain it.  I swapped the SCSI ID's of the two disks and plugged
> each into the other's connector, tried the process again, and it
> worked beautifully.  Hot-removing one, formatting it under DOS,
> plugging it back into the Alpha, and adding it back into the array
> went smoothly too, just as you'd hope it would.
>
> >Was the parity of the sets "clean" when you started the reconstruct? )
>
> No, the parity was dirty, and I couldn't see how to make it clean
> before adding the second RAID partition to the array.  Is it possible
> to do that?

'raidctl -i' will iniitalize the parity... I don't recall off-hand
whether it works if a component is missing though... (it's the same
difference either way if a component is missing... it can only work
with what bits are left, regardless of whether or not the parity was
clean at the time the component disappeared...)

Later...

Greg Oster