Subject: Re: Samsung 164UX board
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/13/2004 11:19:05
--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

* Matthias Drochner (M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de) wrote:
=20
> just got a box with a Samsung Motherboard which identifies
> itself as "APC 164UX/BX" in its "ARCS BIOS".
> In the NetBSD/alpha hardware notes (EB164 section) I didn't
> find an ultimative answer whether this box can run NetBSD.
> Currently it is booting some "MILO" and then Redhat.
> Any hope?

I don't think so, I got a Raptor Reflex which also uses this d$!ned
ARCS BIOS. It is designed to exclusively boot Windows NT and there is
no chance of getting NetBSD on it.=20
AFAIK that MILO is a hacked Version that runs as Windows NT executable
and bootloads Linux, similar to hpcboot.exe for the Windows CD
machines running NetBSD. It might be possible to create a bootloader
that boots NetBSD out of a running WinNT, but I guess that might
require to much voodoo ;-)

BTW: it should be mentioned on the portpage/Alpha FAQ that machines
with ARCS can't boot NetBSD.=20

--=20
First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Roland Deschain of Gilead

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--