Subject: LCD display on PC164LX serial ports
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/2004 23:59:37
I dug out an old Matrix Orbital serial LCD display, and thought I'd put
it to good use on my 1.6 PC164LX and see how far lcdproc gets before
blowing up with some sort of NetBSD or Alpha problem.

Only trouble is I can't seem to get the Alpha to chat to the display
which should use 19200 8N1, I *think* I'm supposed to be using
/dev/ttyC0 or /dev/ttyC1, I've tried both devices and I've tried both
ports on the back of the machine. Echo'ing some text to the device
should print something on the display, at least when I had it attached
to a Linux box it would, but it just goes into a state where I can't get
control of the tty back, and nothing appears on the display.

When running lcdproc, it seems to just hang, and when I've attached gdb
to the running process, it appears to be stuck at the point of trying to
open the serial device. As far as I know there's nothing else using the
serial ports, I have a regular 'head' attached.

Any ideas? I'm not 100% sure I'm trying the right ports, although I'm
sure I'd get an error if I was trying to use a non-existant device.

Matt