Subject: Re: NFS writes NetBSD vs FreeBSD
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: Stephen M. Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/15/2004 14:36:54
Michael writes:

> Hmmm.  I just started running some tests between my CS20s (one running
> 1.6.1 and the other running 1.6ZC - both SMP), and I am seeing 10-11MB/sec
> transfers.  However, I'm not seeing any fxp timeouts - which would
> significantly affect the throughput.

Are you using iothreads or anything but the defaults on your mounts?  What
sort of etherswitch are you using or are you using a cross over cable between
the two?  How often do you experience hangs with 1.6x using SMP?  I've been
sort of directed to work with 2.0x from now on, but it seems that there
might be some fixes in 1.6x that aren't getting or haven't been getting
merged in 2.0x

The hard hangs sort of bother me because unfortunately most of my CS20s
are about 2600 miles away and I have to power cycle them through an APC
switch.  From what I've heard from Peter Petrakis the 'remote management'
that is sort of hinted about in the API documentation was never fully
implemented on the primary ethernet interface.  Does pressing the switch
on the front end of the CS20 reset it or do you need to actually use the
back switch?  I might have to look into wiring up the front end reset
switches on mine just to save the power cycle ;-)  I'm running out of
spare power supplies .. thats for sure.