Subject: vrele bad ref count panic running navigator-4.78 (OSF1) on -current
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Joachim Kuebart <kuebart@mathematik.uni-ulm.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/04/2004 19:51:06
Hi,

I'm trying to run navigator-4.78 from pkgsrc on a -current with sources
from April 2. The set of OSF1-libraries used to work with an older 1.5-ish
NetBSD. Since upgrading to 2.0B, however, as soon as I start navigator
(even without $DISPLAY set, just expecting it to complain: "cannot open
display"), I get the following panic instead:

vrele: bad ref count: tag 1 type VREG, usecount -1, writecount 0, refcount 1,
	tag VT_UFS, ino 722245, on dev 4, 3 flags 0x0, effnlink 1, nlink 1
	mode 0100555, owner 0, group 0, size 9609216 not locked
panic: vrele: ref cnt vp 0xfffffc0003da5330
Stopped in pid 14058.1 (sh) at  netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4: ret zero,(ra)
db> bt
cpu_Debugger() at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4
panic() at netbsd:panic+0x1f8
vrele() at netbsd:vrele+0x9c
proc_free() at netbsd:proc_free+0x248
sys_wait4() at netbsd:sys_wait4+0x174
syscall_plain() at netbsd:syscall_plain+0xb4
XentSys() at netbsd:XentSys+0x5c
--- syscall(7) ---
--- user mode ---
db> reboot

The inode number from the panic refers to the netscape binary.

$ find /usr -inum 722245
/usr/pkg/lib/netscape/navigator-4.78/netscape
$ uname -a
NetBSD jaja 2.0B NetBSD 2.0B (ALPHA-$Revision: 1.191 $) #0: Sun Apr  4 16:18:01 CEST 2004  joki@jaja:/home/joki/NetBSD/compile/JAJA alpha

Has anyone seen this or had any other trouble with the OSF1 emulation?
Unfortunately, I don't have any other (simpler) OSF1-binaries to test with.
Is there anything else I can try to help pinpoint the problem (I don't have
the faintest clue where to start...)? Should I send-pr?

TIA,

cu Jo

--
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand
il ne reste rien à enlever.  (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)