Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 for Alpha - installation problem
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?t-k.gopalakrishnan?= <tk_gopalakrishnan@yahoo.co.nz>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/02/2004 13:56:17
 --- gopalakrishnan thazhathe-kalathil <tk_gopalakrishnan@yahoo.co.nz> wrote: > Hi there

> I created a bootable CD (burn image) from NetBSD
> version 1.6 alpha ISO file 'alphacd.iso' using nero
> verion 5 running under Windows XP. The procedure
> finished successfully which labelled the CD
> 'NetBSD 1.6 Alpha'and created the following
> structure (as seen under Windows XP):
>   alpha
>     binary
>       kernel
>         netbsd-GENERIC.gz
>       sets
>         etc.tgz
>         base.tgz
>     installation
>       diskimage
>

> I am able to boot NetBSD on my AlphaStation 200 4/166
> but the installation is not completely successful
>
> After choosing optin a: (Install NetBSD to hard disk)
> and choosing Full installation, when it comes to the
> step  of unpacking the distribution file sets, it
> started reporting errors that it can't find 'etc.tgz'.
> When I just tries to 'ignore and continue', it did not
>
> find the next file 'base.tgz' and so on. It did spell
> out the directory /alpha/binary/sets/ where it was
> looking
> for these files.
>
> In one of my several repeat attempts when I
> deliberately
> entered a wrong directory, install reported it could
> not
> find 'netbsd-GENERIC.gz' which means it was able to
> find
> this until then.
>
> I suspect there is something wrong with the structure
> created as I read in NetBSD web dialogues that
> Nero-created
> CD may not be totally iso9660 compliant...?
>
> Can somebody help ...please

It would not work; but I have got around it.

The problem is the alpha can not mount the
CD in the external SCSI CD drive (after the
initial boot ) though it can boot from it!
(this problem has been reported in several
messages though no solution/workaround
suggested)

The funny thing is that the sams procedure
with the same external SCSI CD drive works
on my VAXstation 3100 all the way! (with
vaxcd.iso unpacked on a CD as above)!

So I 'cp'd the above Alpha CD to a hard
drive on the VAX and used the hard drive
on the Alpha (after doing a floppy
boot) to get rest of the files in the kit.

...until I hit the "UID 0 comm sysinst
on /: file system full" error ..which
is the subject for a separate e-mail...

http://au.movies.yahoo.com