Subject: Re: integrated peripherals on AS255
To: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/21/2004 13:03:52
ISA is a pain.

I'm not sure that any Alpha supports ISA Plug 'n' Play (isapnp).
That's why I was questioning the particulars of those configuration
lines that you sent.

The last time I fiddled with this stuff was to add a properly stupid
16550 ISA serial interface with jumper configuration for I/O port
address and IRQ to a PC164 to be COM2. First, I had to get SRM isacfg
to stick so that the proper interrupt resources would be allocated,
and then a matching NetBSD kernel config line had to be added for the
device to be probed, matched, and configured.

Later, I tried to do this with an ISA SoundBlaster card and failed. I
probably didn't have the ISA configuration just right in that case.

Of course, for built-in peripherals, one hopes that the default SRM
configuration already has the right stuff allocated. My experience
was that if SRM didn't see it, NetBSD couldn't or wouldn't either. On
the other hand, I think the PC164 is a later model than the AS255. I
also had an interesting time with a DEC PWS 333i+ (their Intel
Pentium II based Personal Workstations) where the wss chip was at a
different, non-standard I/O port in the ISA space than the BIOS
saying, i.e. it was wrong in the firmware. A NetBSD kernel
configuration with the right I/O port properly probed and attached
the device.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>