Subject: Re: Re : Dual head XFree?
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/18/2004 12:44:06
Yes, best 2D card seems to be Matrox G400 (ogle -DVD player used as
measure-not G450 -not sure this card works, never tested it.) For 2D
only 2-3MB are really needed of >8MB VRAM installed on most cuurent vga
cards, these are really set for 3D. If you can not find a G400, best
next is ATI radeon 7000 or 7500, 32 or 64MB. All three above work very
well on the PWS boxes,should cost you less than $20.00/card on ebay.

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 11:55, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:11:44 -0500
> mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com> wrote:
>
> > PWS is well supported with PCI Radeons 7000 thru 9200,in 4.4.0rc2-
> > return to 'text' is white text on black background, glint
> > PM2, PM3 cards, Voodoo- TDFX cards, Matrox G400, almost any PCI card
> > supported by SRM.
> Any special recommendations? What cards give good 2D performance?
> (Sorry, I left the PeeCee business sone years ago.)
> SRM support is not important, I can live with serial console very well.
>
> > see http://www.caseydoodle.com/cards.html . for cards i have used.
> Thanks for the hint. I will ePay some "new" cards as all my PCI VGAs are
> old S3 or Cyrix based cards.

yes these are really 'junk' i don't use the S3 installed on AS800 MB.
> > Of course you wan't 'xinerama' see xfree86.org for
> > documentation on XF86Config file for dual head operation
> Well, I'll see. I got xinerama working on my dual head SGI Octane, so I
> am used to this kind of trouble. ;-)

-Mel