Subject: NetBSD 1.6 for Alpha - installation problem
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?gopalakrishnan=20thazhathe-kalathil?= <tk_gopalakrishnan@yahoo.co.nz>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/14/2004 16:32:34
Hi there

I created a bootable CD (burn image) from NetBSD
version 1.6 alpha ISO file 'alphacd.iso' using nero
verion 5 running under Windows XP. The procedure
finished successfully which labelled the CD
'NetBSD 1.6 Alpha'and created the following
structure (as seen under Windows XP):
  alpha
    binary
      kernel
        netbsd-GENERIC.gz
      sets
        etc.tgz
        base.tgz
    installation
      diskimage

I am able to boot NetBSD on my AlphaStation 200 4/166
but the installation is not completely successful

After choosing optin a: (Install NetBSD to hard disk)
and choosing Full installation, when it comes to the
step  of unpacking the distribution file sets, it
started reporting errors that it can't find 'etc.tgz'.
When I just tries to 'ignore and continue', it did not

find the next file 'base.tgz' and so on. It did spell
out the directory /alpha/binary/sets/ where it was
looking
for these files.

In one of my several repeat attempts when I
deliberately
entered a wrong directory, install reported it could
not
find 'netbsd-GENERIC.gz' which means it was able to
find
this until then.

I suspect there is something wrong with the structure
created as I read in NetBSD web dialogues that
Nero-created
CD may not be totally iso9660 compliant...?

Can somebody help ...please

Try the new improved Yahoo! Australia & NZ Search at http://www.yahoo.com.au