Subject: Re: MP?
To: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/20/2004 17:40:12
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Havard Eidnes wrote:

> > Tried -current as of yesterday and I get a machine check
> > immediately after it reports the root file system type.
>
> Well, that's definately different from what I'm observing.  I
> just re-updated and rebooted my CS20 with last night's kernel,
> and even though I now got a panic, it stayed up for perhaps an
> hour, doing seti and a "build.sh -j 3 ..." job before it croaked.
> The last part emitted on the console said:

Yes, well, since I get nowhere near running, we're definitely observing
different behaviours. :-)

> > If anyone wants to take a shot at this, I can perform all kind
> > of experiments on the machine.
>
> What sort of machine is it you're trying to make go?

It's a 2100/275. Two CPUs in the machine. 768 meg memory. Not much else in
there. The machine works fine if I run a kernel without MP.

> > I could probably also hook up the console so that it is
> > accessible from the net if really needed.
>
> A logging console is always good. ;-)

Right now it's directly to a VT320, but it's not difficult to instead hook
it to a serial port on another machine and run kermit.

> I'm not sure I'll be able to offer much in terms of assistance in
> tracking down the problem you are seeing, but to be able to at
> least start looking at it, it would definately help to get an
> exact printout of what you observe on the console.

I'll get back with that tonight then.
I have digged quite some in NetBSD/vax, but just about nothing in
NetBSD/alpha...

	Johnny