Subject: Re: MP?
To: None <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/20/2004 15:21:45
> Tried -current as of yesterday and I get a machine check
> immediately after it reports the root file system type.

Well, that's definately different from what I'm observing.  I
just re-updated and rebooted my CS20 with last night's kernel,
and even though I now got a panic, it stayed up for perhaps an
hour, doing seti and a "build.sh -j 3 ..." job before it croaked.
The last part emitted on the console said:

Tue Jan 20 00:57:35 CET 2004

NetBSD/alpha (kveite.urc.uninett.no) (console)

login: Jan 20 00:59:37 kveite su: he to root on /dev/ttyp1
panic: fpsave ipi didn't
Begin traceback...
alpha trace requires known PC =3Deject=3D
End traceback...
syncing disks... fxp1: device timeout
[BREAK]fxp1: device timeout
fxp1: device timeout
fxp1: device timeout
fxp1: device timeout

Grumble -- the "requires known PC" looks like a cop-out if you
ask me...

> If anyone wants to take a shot at this, I can perform all kind
> of experiments on the machine.

What sort of machine is it you're trying to make go?

> I could probably also hook up the console so that it is
> accessible from the net if really needed.

A logging console is always good. ;-)

I'm not sure I'll be able to offer much in terms of assistance in
tracking down the problem you are seeing, but to be able to at
least start looking at it, it would definately help to get an
exact printout of what you observe on the console.

Regards,

- H=E5vard