Subject: Re: Re : X doesn't work on my 164LX
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/12/2004 19:12:51
> The Matrox G400 is just that card NOT the G450 which i have not tested.
> The card can be had at the moment from H.P. online parts stores P/N
> 203627-001

Thanks.  I'll have a look.  Although, if there isn't much difference from
the ATI card, I'll probably stick with that.

> Did the card initialize in SRM console or did you boot in serial mode?
> - the 'no video output' is ?

I had it set for VGA console but the card didn't initialise.  I let it
boot anyway and started the X server remotely.  As soon as I started X,
the machine stopped responding (e.g. no reply to ping).  I assumed that
it had done something like "halt: machine check", which is what used to
happen with the previous (4.3) X server and the ATI card ;-/

> Have you looked at /var/log/xdm.log to see if your error is other than:
> xdm error (pid 375): Cannot open "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so"
> while loading /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so ?
> see: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2003/11/12/0000.html

No /var/log/xdm.log (xdm is configured to log there).  The only xdm-related
errors were in the Xfree86.0.log:

  AUDIT: Sat Jan 10 22:11:28 2004: 14949 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1

so I thought I should use MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authorisation instead ;-)

> alpha_video.c hack is just part of getting XFree86 to 'just work'
> on alpha., ../os-support/bus/netbsdPci.c and pci.h need work.
> When i or any one else gets the 21264 chip boxes to run XFree86 then its
> time to commit patches.

OK, that's fair enough.

>                         Ogle runs for me at 11-16fps on this box, with
> option SHMMAXPGS=16384 in my kernel, which you probably have as well.

Yes (SHMMAXPGS=8192).

> (specific DVD is a part of it...no way to generalize)
> This is with a Nvidia 5200 or Matrox G400(defined above) The CPU is pegged,
> there is a limit to the 600MHZ 21164 chip on clock/buffer/pci_speed.
> mplayer says 'cpu is too slow to play this..' well still crappy..1/2 speed
> but better
> than zero speed. BTW G400 exits->xinit->exit cleanly, mouse warnings present
> in /var/log/XFree86.0.log

I thought that maybe the Nvidia or Matrox would have useable hardware
acceleration for playing DVD's but obviously not!

Thanks again,

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/