Subject: Re: Re : X doesn't work on my 164LX
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/11/2004 10:23:54
> ATI cards are NOT supported on this box , see
> http://www.caseydoodle.com/cards.html
> for supported cards.  In short try an Nvidia TNT2 or MX 440 of GeForce 2
> card.
> I have also used Matrox G400 succesfully in 4.4.0rc1 and 2 Matrox MII
> cards also do not
> work -known to crash in 4.2.0 and 4.3.0- have not this card with
> 4.4.0rc*

I tried an Inno3D Geforce 2 MX400 card in my 164LX:

  vga0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: Nvidia Corporation GeForce2 MX (rev. 0xb2)

It doesn't work as a console (no video output) and the machine crashed when
I tried the 4.4.0 RC 2 X server from:

  http://www.caseydoodle.com/xc_4.4.tar.gz

However, with the same X server, X is running fine with a ATI Rage 128 GL:

  vga0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: ATI Technologies Rage 128 GL PCI (rev. 0x00)

using the r128 driver:

  (--) R128(0): Chipset: "ATI Rage 128 GL RE (PCI)" (ChipID = 0x5245)

I see the same lack of BWX and the "bad wsmouse event" messages.  I also
noticed that there is no support for XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 in the X server
(xdm tried to use this by default).  I compiled ogle and it plays DVD's
at a poor 9 frames/sec.  I'll see if I can find a Matrox card to try with.

Thanks for your work on this.  Is there any interest in getting the patches
into the NetBSD xsrc?

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/