Subject: Machine-language reference sought
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/09/2004 00:31:09
I'm looking for some kind of reference for the Alpha machine language.
So far everything I've found either has been seriously incomplete (eg,
stuff intended for introductory courses) or has described an assembly
language rather than a machine language (eg, the "Digital UNIX Assembly
Language Programmer's Guide", which describes a lot of `instructions'
that are actually assembler pseudo-ops generating multiple
instructions).

I'd also be interested to find any documentation explaining which
registers are reserved, and for what uses, under NetBSD/alpha.  Perhaps
it's lurking somewhere, but I've never found it.

I'm contemplating writing some somewhat unusual code, and I suspect I'm
going to want all the registers I can get.  Ideally, I'd like something
that explains what registers have special meaning to (a) the hardware,
(b) the Unix PALcode, (c) NetBSD/alpha's kernel, and (d) gcc-generated
code.  I don't really expect to find that much. :)

Any thoughts?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign