Subject: Re: XFree86 on alpha
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: None <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/16/2003 20:32:18
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 10:38:27AM +0100, Torsten Harenberg wrote:
>>[...]
>> So I'm really wondering how many alphas (running X) are still be used
>> out there...
>
> But running X on an alpha is hard because of the need to go and get
> source or binaries from mel. This is a disincentive to actually try and
> run it.
>
> If the sources were integrated into the tree we might have more people
> using them. Perhaps.

I really believe this to be true, and integrating at least partially
functional patches will raise awareness of the issues we're facing.  At
one point a simple change to alpha_video.c (originally from Mel's patches)
allowed XF86 4.3 to compile and run with fine results on NetBSD-Alpha as
of 1.6O (cf. alpha/20560).  But no more.

The rest of the in-source tree is moving too rapidly (!) for these patches
to keep up, and 20560 no longer works (on my hardware).

More despairingly, I've received zero (0) feedback about this patch over
the months.

> --
> Kevin P. Neal                                http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/
>
>  "Good grief, I've just noticed I've typed in a rant. Sorry chaps!"
>                             Keir Finlow Bates, circa 1998

David Hopper
Director
Global Event Services, Inc.