Subject: Re: Anyone know what rotary switch does on PMAGD-AA video?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: William Langford <unfie@cox.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/10/2003 11:55:05
'lo,

I've got a PowerStorm 4d20 (similar vain as to your card) that I've been
attempting to get working under alpha-netbsd with little success so
far.  I know that it's been accomplished by other people, just not by me.

The VGA chip (cirrus logic) is for doing text mode console stuff only.
The real work in a graphics mode is being done in the IBM asic & r4500 chip.

The audio jack is for 3d glasses... i'm not sure what kind and don't
believe i've ever seen a pair.

In reguards to using your trio, i've got a s3 trio 64 i've been using
under netbsd as a temporary solution due to the powerstorm not working
(doesn't even boot to text mode appropriately).  I have been unable to
get the trio to work under X11 with neither netbsd nor linux.  If you
don't get text mode after the secondary boot loader with your 'serious
video card', try installing the trio and install the system using
that... at least that way you'll get text on your screen.  (another
solution would be to use serial consoles).

If your card has a rotary switch, try setting it to 'C' (640x480x60hz).

The rotary switch determines screen resolution in a non-arc bios system.

I'm not sure if the TurboChannel cards (your PM*) matches the PCI cards,
but here's a list of the PowerStorm 3d20/4d20 rotary switch definitions:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_2041.html

---

After some disgust.... I decided to go ahead and try all of the video
modes on the rotatary knob.... and to my delight (and annoyance) one
(only one) mode worked!

640x480@60hz works.... has some graphical corruption on the screen
(corrupted pixels), so i'd assume it's something with the given mode or
bad vram (i HOPE it's not the latter).

So, it's nice to have made some progress.... I can now boot the card and
it'll happily exist in the console world (with the bits of corruption)
... and I *can* indeed get X up and running (and the corruption seems to
stay on certain bitmaps or something... so... we'l see).  I'll take the
machine to work where I have a more competent monitor (the one I'm
working with is a bit aged and may be very picky about the different
resolutions it supports).... and hope the corruption goes away.  Will
post more info in a few days.

In reguards to the rotary switch..... for anyone pulling hair as well..
i found putting a jumper on both 'alias' and 'vga_en' as well as
changing the rotary switch to 'C' to give me a working system under
netbsd (linux appears to only use the VGA side of the card...).

-Will

p.s. sorry for delay, i've been naughty and sending html emails.... so
this is a combination of a couple emails into one post...