Subject: Re: I cannot install netbsd on an AlphaStation 400
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/31/2003 14:53:23
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:25:07 -0500
> From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
> To: Leo de Lange <LeoLange@wxs.nl>
> Cc: port-alpha@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Re: I cannot install netbsd on an AlphaStation 400
>
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:08:36PM +0100, Leo de Lange wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried to install netbsd on a Alphastation 400 and it did not work.
> > Before you go talking about firmware and such, it is as machine that
> > was previously owned by Global Knowledge and is up to date. It even
> > runs (with a hobbyist license) OpenVMS V7.3-1.
> >
> > I wanted to install netbsd from CD on an empty disk (RZ28, a 2 GB
> > disk), but at the end of the installation procedure, I get the
> > message that I should reboot. I removed the CD and hit the "return"
> > key. I received the following message:
> > 	uid 0 comm sysinit on /: file system full
> > 	/: write failed, file system is full
> > 	setmentation fault.
>
> sysinst is broken. I've had that happen on both alpha and sparc64, -current
> and 1.6.1_STABLE.
>
> > Anyway, I booted from the new disk, but the boot process stopped with
> > the following message (I hope I copied it correctly from the screen):
> > 	root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
> > 	root file system type: ffs
> > 	/: bad dir ino 10689 at offset 1536: mangled entry
> > 	panic: bad dir
> > 	stopped in pid 8 (init) at cpu_debugger +0x4: ret zero,(ra)
> > 	db>
> >
> > What to do next? (or: Where did I go wrong?)
>
> I would do the install again, and when it does that segfault, run stty sane
> then sync;umount -a -t ffs (to sync and unmount the filesystem(s) you just
> installed to) That might help.
>
> I haven't seen that panic before, so my best guess is that the filesystem
> got hosed when sysinst dies.

When I recently used the 1.6.1 CD to install NetBSD on an Alphastation
255, I concluded that the "/: file system full" message came from
an attempt to write to the boot drive (the CDrom) which of course is
full and not writeable.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu