Subject: Re: MAGMA driver source licence [UPDATE]
To: Noah J. Misch <noah@caltech.edu>
From: Felix Deichmann <f.dei@web.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/02/2003 00:16:08
Noah J. Misch wrote:

> I do have one recommendation.  In the email that you provide as the
> license, you snip out everything but the BSD license segment, and include
> in your own comments the fact that it applies to the code, and that the
> embedded copyright notices can be ignored.  If that is in the original
> message, I would include it.

It is not in the original message, unfortunately. Chuck wants me to
maintain the archive now, he only modified a BSD license "dummy" which I
had sent to him before. I had to put everything into a suitable form.

> The thing that concerns me is that five years from now, a Magma lawyer
> will discover Magma source code in NetBSD.  The people who approved the
> release of the code won't be around anymore, and the heavily redacted
> email won't be nearly as convincing as a complete one.

Believe me: MAGMA is not interested in anything concerning the
TurboChannel or old DEC hardware anymore. Support has ended. They aren't
interested in wasting money.
And even if MAGMA put lawyers on NetBSD, they would have to consider
Chuck Brost and me :-)

So accept "my" license or bug Chuck Brost again. But he won't tell you
anything new...

> Also, perhaps if you know anything about the code, you could write a
> README to include with the distribution.  For example, do you know what
> versions of Unix and VMS these are supposed to compile under?  I did a
> rough sanity check, comparing the includes to those in /usr/sys/include on
> Tru64 5.1b (via HP TestDrive), and they are similar.  I didn't try
> compiling the drivers, however.

Sorry, I only know something about the VMS part of the 4DMA driver.

> As far as hosting the code, perhaps starting a project on sourceforge.net
> would be best?  You could just add the tarball as a released file.

Will do that tomorrow. Good idea.