Subject: Re: MAGMA driver source licence [UPDATE]
To: Felix Deichmann <f.dei@web.de>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/28/2003 12:49:08
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 05:22:29PM +0200, Felix Deichmann wrote:
> With the closure of Digitial Equipment Corporation we, not too long after,
> ceased production of supporting hardware for that platform.  We are now
> completely out of the DEC/Turbo Channel devices so have agreed to release
> the source to those brave few individuals still using the DEC computers.
> If the information in the old drivers helps you to develop drivers that
> work with your platform and the later OS's for that machine, then at least
> some good will come of them.  I did the necessary quiery of the powers that
> be before releasing the source to Felix, and I have no problem with his
> extending that to others still using the DEC machines.  All I ask is that
> you not sell the source, or anything developed from our source, for profit

                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What does this mean?

Does it mean the license is GPL-like? Or does it mean that if you crib
notes from the source then the resulting driver written by you still has
to be GPL-like? What?

> (insert the usual GPL stuff about reasonable costs for media/shipping, etc
> excluded, or membership to a developer site also excluded) and be sure that
> your information as developer of the modified drivers be plainly displayed
> as I will not be able to provide support for a Non-MAGMA driver.  Do those
> two simple things and you are free to use it as you wish with the source.

I find myself thinking "Wow, I wish a lawyer had written the above
paragraphs, they'd probably be more clear."

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.