Subject: Re: AlphaServer GS140
To: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
From: Pasi Pirhonen <upi@iki.fi>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/2003 20:15:09
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 06:53:51PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:44:54PM +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> >

> > begining,
> > i find it very hard to believe that i would have such limits?
>
> It has to do with the DMA mappings etc. Believe me, there are/have been
> issues here. And they were machine/model specific as well.

My bad. Sure there can be such kind of limits.

> > It's very hard me to verify this kind of setup as i have three boards
> > and 4GB/board. I don't think i can just rip of half of the memory from
> > the board or can i? I opened one and saw 80pin SIMMs (hey, it's digital
> > you know - 80pin is very familiar from VAXen and DECstations :)
>
> Should be possible to remove SIMMs, but I never tried. Can't you
> limit the amount of memory the system uses from the boot loader?
> I would have to chec the NetBSD/alpha docs to see if you can.
> At some point this functionality was added to FreeBSD for testing purposes,
> it might be in NetBSD as well.

I'll think about it later. I got the box free, so i can test things
freely. Sure i will feel very bad if i broke something, but have to
look the memoryboard more closely to see if there is some kind of
marking about banks.

Actually i did forget the FreeBSD-port when i started yesterday. Just
trying to boot 5.1-RELEASE with 2 memorybords removed (the first boot
did hang)

FreeBSD/alpha SRM CD9660 boot, Revision 1.2
(root@mithlond.btc.adaptec.com, Wed Jun  4 15:10:16 GMT 2003)
Memory: 12582912 k
/boot/kernel/kernel data=0x4cd740+0x63ca0syms=[0x8+0x65550+0x8+0x4d8a3]
-
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at 0xfffffc000033f0e0...
WARNING: Driver mistake: make_dev(zs0) called before SI_SUB_DRIVERS

Second one was different (only one 4GB board attached)

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at 0xfffffc000033f0e0...
WARNING: Driver mistake: make_dev(zs0) called before SI_SUB_DRIVERS

CPU 0 halted
  halt code = 5
  HALT instruction executed
  PC = fffffc0000650e20
CPU 1 is not halted
CPU 2 is not halted
CPU 4 is not halted
CPU 5 is not halted
CPU 6 is not halted
CPU 7 is not halted

CPU 0 booting

I don't mind the kind of *BSD as long i don't have to use Tru64 or
something else 'commercial, but not so sexy' (biased opinion) :)

> > And we're talking about GS140, which is 6/525. 8400 is supposed to be
> > 5/440? Gneration difference with CPUs and stuff?
>
> Yup, but the memory is the same. I had a AS8400 box with 6/525 CPUs
> inside ;-)

Ok. Mine must be same then too. It's defiently 8400 case, but it's
detected as 'Compaq AlphaServer GS140 6/525, 523MHz' by NetBSD too.

               ___o     </\_    upi@iki.fi
   /\o_      _ \<,_   __/\      <URL: http://iki.fi/upi/ >