Subject: Re: AlphaServer GS140
To: Pasi Pirhonen <upi@iki.fi>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/2003 14:23:30
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:06:23PM +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 04:40:46PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> >
> > I never got around to reporting it, but I tried a couple of versions
> > of NetBSD (1.6, and -current at the time, I think) on an 8400 last December.
> >
> > That was 8 processors, 8 GB memory, and heaps of PCI busses, with
> > scsi controllers, and lots of drives (including an HSZ raid on one
> > of the scsi's).
> >

> I have been 'very much updateing the info all day', but i have to work
> :/
>

> I did come back last night to make some more tests. Results vere same,
> but consistent. If i have more than one memoryboard attached, it's
> HALTing riht after starting the kernel for something (no copypaste)
> 'Memory Management Error'

Hi Pasi,

Wasn'nt there a hard limit at 2GByte main memory for Tlaser systems?
At least the code FreeBSD adopted from NetBSD cannot handle more. Of course
it could be that this limit has been removed from NetBSD in the meantime,
I have insufficient time :-( to keep up with the various developments
in *BSD.

My 8400 was quite unhappy when I had > 2GB installed (it had 12GB and 8 CPUs
at the time). We no longer have it inhouse, and I have not tried any of
the *BSDs on the GS60E we now have sitting in our lab.

Wilko