Subject: Re: AlphaServer GS140
To: Pasi Pirhonen <upi@iki.fi>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/2003 16:40:46
    Date:        Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:57:55 +0300
    From:        Pasi Pirhonen <upi@iki.fi>

  | I was 'lucky' and got a AlphaServer GS140 (think has been AlphaServer
  | 8400 originally, but updated). 8CPU (four boards) and 12GB memory
  | (three boards) and few disks.

I never got around to reporting it, but I tried a couple of versions
of NetBSD (1.6, and -current at the time, I think) on an 8400 last December.

That was 8 processors, 8 GB memory, and heaps of PCI busses, with
scsi controllers, and lots of drives (including an HSZ raid on one
of the scsi's).

I didn't have time to investigate what happened, except that "nothing"
happened - in the sense that it booted from the CD - or loaded the OS
from the CD, then just vanished/died/hung/...

That may have been a console issue, I didn't have time to find out,
and that system has vanished to someplace I will never see it again now
I believe.

Pity - those are quite nice systems (though big, and power hungry, and
expensive to maintain or upgrade).

kre