Subject: Re: Decoding machine checks...
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/13/2003 00:36:03
--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:12:01PM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
>=20
> On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 06:09 PM, Sean Davis wrote:
> >Machine checks typically mean hardware is dying somewhere, from=20
> >everything
> >I've read.
>=20
> You haven't read enough.  machine checks happen when the processor
> encounters an unrecoverable error (no kernel stack avail, etc.)

I agree there: the docs aren't exactly all in one location or easy to find,
but thanks for the correction.

> 660 usually means you tried to access memory that isn't there
> or in a manner it doesn't support.

I was quoting the NetBSD/alpha port FAQ re: 660. If that is incorrect, I am=
 not
the one that needs correcting :)

While we're on the subject, are there any sites you know of that document
what the different checks mean on different systems? (according to one site,
they're different per CPU and per chipset..)

-Sean

--=20
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!