Subject: Re: RTC on AlphaStation 600
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/03/2003 02:28:02
On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 02:20 AM, Sean Davis wrote:

> Okay, this is a two-part question:
> I have an AlphaStation 600 5/266, which has a DS1287 RTC (mcclock(4))
> on the
> motherboard. Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor is sending me a DS12887 (which
> is
> their replacement for the 'outdated' DS1287, supposedly
> pin-compatible) for
> free. My questions are:
>
> 1) will mcclock(4) know WTF is going on if I replace the DS1287 RTC
> with a
>    DS12887 RTC (the hardware info implies as much, but docs and
> experience
>    are different ;)

Actually, the real question is will the SRM be happy with it.  If it's
software compatible, it'll probably wonder where all the settings went.
So be prepared to reenter boot_device, etc.

> 2) Is it worth the effort of removing the motherboard, desoldering the
>    DS1287, and soldering in the DS12887 to try it? has anyone done this
>    before?

Is the DS1287 actually soldered?  Usually Digital used sockets for clock
chips.
--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: