Subject: Re: more curious messages from the isp driver?
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/12/2003 10:28:14
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:11:39AM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > Yes, this is likely a flakey scsi bus- a data overrun for a write
> > generally means that the bus stayed in DATA OUT phase after all data
> > scheduled to go had been sent.
> >
> > The 'adapter resource shortage' has already been explained.
> >
> > There's nothing wrong with isp cards. The 1020 is old and has signalling
> > issues. The 1040s on forward are pretty damned solid.
>
> Aren't "there's nothing wrong" and "is old and has signalling issues"
> mutually exclusive..?

No- not really. If you use drives that are also old and the cabling and
termination that's appropriate (and was available at the time of the
device's shipment), it should work reasonably well.

I only have a few 1020s left- they work fairly well, but I've
essentially purged them for the 1040s which should be available for a
song on EBay now because life is easier when I want to attach newer
drives.

> Could the issue be that the 1020 is using the 1040 'risc code' (whatever
> that is, I assume its microcode of some sort) and thus isn't running the
> correct driver, even though it does work? After all, all the pci isp driver
> does is prints out that it is an isp 1020 Fast Wide (just recently fixed so
> it no longer incorrectly says Ultra Wide) and proceeds to load the 1040 code
> for the chip. Ultra-Wide and Fast-Wide are different enough that I think
> that could at least *possibly* be an issue.

Same RISC code, actually.

> Well, I'll be looking into getting an LSI LSIU160 53c1010-based card this
> weekend, since SRM's support for different scsi chipsets is lacking, and I've
> been told that the 53c1010 works in an AXPpci33, so hopefully it should in an
> AS600 with 1999-dated firmware.

A 1010 is not going to work for SRM- the systems in question were
obsolete and desupported long before the 1010 (Ultra3) was released.

The AXPpci33 (noname) or Multia had a little PCI frob that had a 53c010
(note '010', not '1010') which is narrow SCSI alongside a PCI slot at
90deg angle (to make it parallel to the motherboard). I'm not sure of
the current NetBSD driver status for driving a 010- used to work back in
1.3, because we had a pile of Multias with NetBSD 1.3 installed on them.

They were and are fairly reasonable. The internal drive on the Multia
was only 300MB, not enough for a full install, so you always had to add
an extra drive.

Again- this gets you back to drives which were out when these systems
came out- the appropriate drives in this case were 680MB to 1GB
Micropolis drives. If you can find any of the Digital RZ drives that
haven't fried ( < 2Gb), they'll be fine- ditto Quantum or Seagate
drives. I won't vouch for narrow to wide adapters and connecting to a
more modern drive.

But if you're going to use older drives, the 1020 will be fine likely.

-matt