Subject: Re: AlphaServer 4000 not dropping to DDB with serial BREAK and not restarting from halt
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/30/2003 12:30:13
[ On Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 18:25:55 (+1000), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: AlphaServer 4000 not dropping to DDB with serial BREAK and not restarting from halt
>
> See the line that starts "panic: ...".  Panic's aren't restartable.
> I don't know if changing the call to panic to a call to Debugger()
> would have the desired effect or not.

Hmmm.... yes, I was wondering about that.

I was looking for the XentRestart() and console_restart() functions last
night but I wanted to post where I was at that point and then get some
sleep before diving in deeper.

A comment in the code for console_restart() (alpha/alpha/prom.c)
suggests that it's not possible to restart, and it says so well above
the call to that panic(), though I'm unsure of the reason.  It's been
that way for a long time though.

If this is a hardware limitation it might be useful to rename the DDB
"continue" command to be "dump" and make a note in the manual page.

It really would be nice though if the alpha could restart the kernel....

--
						Greg A. Woods