Subject: Re: Funky vi editing escapE in X on alphas... why? any fix?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/26/2003 00:38:09
On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:23:33AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> >    i<cr>
> >    Hello world<escape>
>
> >    Hello worlD
>
> I suspect that the escape key is sending some multi-character sequence
> involving a tilde.  Try ktracing vi so you can see exactly what it's
> reading from the tty.
>
> _Fixing_ it is another story entirely, of course.  I have no
> suggestions for that, though I hope the above will at least get you
> looking in the right place.

Try setting the vi option 'escapetime' to > 1 (in units of 100ms) - I
wouldn't normally expect anyone to need this on a local xterm, but it
might help determine whether the problem is vi misinterpreting escape
sequences or something else.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive