Subject: Re: AlphaServer 2000 4/200 support?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/17/2003 10:34:13
On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 05:57 PM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>>> BTW: FreeBSD 4.8 boots too, but complains about:
>>> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1011, dev=0x000f) at 8.0 irq 5
>>> 	[this is the DEFPA]
>> Correct, you lack fpa in the install kernel. Hardly anyone seems to
>> have FDDI left these days (I have 2 DEFPA here ;)
> Well. It is relatively easy to get a Turbochannel FDDI card for my DEC
> 3000 machines or a SGI GIO64 FDDI card for the Indigo2. I even have a
> VME FDDI card for the SGI Personal Iris 4D35. 100BaseT is not available
> for DEC 3000 and expensive and slow for the Indigo2. [1] Good 100BaseT
> cards are hard to get these days. (All this RealTek crap...) But with
> FDDI I get good cards with good performance and high throughput on all
> my good, old machines.
> BTW: I also have a DEFEA and a DEFQA...

   With FDDI I get good performance on my good NEW machines too. 8-)
Lots of my friends run FDDI...it's not as uncommon as some people might
think.

   GIG-E is a kludge and way too expensive.  FDDI is faster than 100Mbit
ethernet (smarter media arbitration, plus that 4500 byte MTU helps a
lot) and is damn near indestructible.

      -Dave